Monday, March 16, 2009

Road Trip to see Grandma

Last Sunday my Grandma Lichtenberger called my mom out of the blue and talked with her. She has a hard time remembering people so it was quite a shock, but a good one. Then Tuesday night I had a dream that I went to see her. It was the same sequence all night. When I woke up I immediately told Steve my dream and thought that I should go to visit on Saturday. On Saturday my sisters, Laurie and Kimberly, and I set out for California around 7 am. I forgot to check the gas level when we left Blythe and as I was driving I saw the gas light on. The next stop was 20 miles away! I almost had a panic attack. My sister Laurie was laughing saying that she felt bad for me. For me? She would be stranded too! We did make it, and I was grateful.
When we got to the nursing home we walked in the room and my grandma threw her hands up and said "You came!" She cried and hugged us from her bed. It felt so good to see her. I feel that she recognized us at first, but the longer we stayed I think she was trying to place us with events in her memory. I know that if I had a dream about her that she could have very well had a dream about us. She was very sweet and very funny. I tried not to laugh too much just in case she thought we were laughing at her. After about an hour she thanked us for coming. She said that she thinks about us all the time and let us know how touched she was that we came. We can't wait to see her again.
Here's Grandma with my sister Laurie.

Me and Grandma.


Grandma and Kimberly. She called her Lil' Leona.



We had to stop and go to the outlet mall on our way out of town. It was so much fun. My eyes were so tired they couldn't handle the flash. We tried 4 times to take a good picture. Oh well. I rolled into my driveway around 1:15 and heard Nathan crying as soon as I walked in the door. He was so happy to see me that he kept grabbing my face. I got to bed around 2, and although I was tired we made it to the last 2 hours of church. Church starts at 8am.

No comments: